Tuesday, November 24, 2009

made to order...

so yesterday was super awesome. my new job requires me to travel more and being in the car with myself singing aloud is one of my favorite things to do. so anyhoo...it was a rainy day (which i love) and i was driving and realized with all of this new time in the car i need to update my music. DESPERATELY. i have been exploring a lot of new options lately and in blog land read others reviews and such and have found some good stuff...but i made mental note that i really need to replace my speakers and solicit new mix cds from people. i took a bit of a music hiatus because my last two boyfriends were music nazis. i mean honestly, in a relationship, i don't give a shit what kind of music you listen to. that has no impact on how you are going to treat me as a person, and if me listening to elton john excessively in private makes you that uncomfortable and hostile, YOU have a problem, not me. one bf was an actual musician and that was cool, he had a classically trained perspective i respected. and when we dated he was in a little band that would play at the bars in college and i was all like, "yeah, he's going home with me." that was awesome. but how much gd jazz can one be expected to listen to? the other bf was just a d!%&. he actually ostracized people by their taste in music and was ridiculously judgemental. he didn't really have a lot of hobbies.

here i am thinking about music and how into it i used to be. i admit, when i was younger i totally filled my cd books with things i thought would impress boys. i truthfully enjoyed the music but i did have a "secret" cd book with all of my guilty pleasures...my frank sinatra obsession, my raging chick fembot tunes, my never ending 80s & 90s dance party collection...now i could care less, i listen to what i like. SO. i stop into my local sheetz for gas which i am super excited about because i never go to sheetz and i find it fun in there. i do not live near one, i do not like traveling outside of my comfort zone rivermont ave/dwntwn area, so sheetz is a real treat. i love all things sheetz.

but i am a total hypocrite. i kinda hate all things sheetz at the same time. the wal-mart of gas stations where everything is focused on consuming and cheapness, at the expense of the "third world" and the underemployed. the variety of options is sickening. absurd. typically american. there are some things "all american" that i secretly love that represent things i publically hate. sheetz is one of them. i spent some time (because it always takes FOREVER to get your crap at sheetz-another thing i usually hate) walking the isles. i am in awe of the products, cookie dough balls as a snack, four different kinds of white glazes on cinnamon buns, ten different types of reese's products, items i have NEVER seen before because, i never go outside my safe zone unless traveling out of town or under exigent circumstances, like buying heels at the mall.
two awesome things happen when i am in sheetz on this day.:
1. pumpkin spice lattes are on sale for $1.99!
i know! holy crap. overpriced coffee is one of my pet peeves so the fact i got to enjoy a latte for the grand total of $2.17 made me super happy. i got a giant one. word. (sheetz did not put a happy kitten face in my latte, of course, but i am now going to make a life goal to find the place that does) then the next thing happened...
3. beast of burden by the rolling stones came on.
i l.o.v.e. this song! i mean, most people do. but this one brings back so many memories and especially on the day when i am contemplating reinstating music as a priority in my life i am psyched. i kinda want to have a dance party and look around for others to join in. i unabashedly grin as i recall the nights of dancing in dorm rooms to this album...the coffee maker lady heckles along and i coo to myself, awww what american camaraderie. then i laugh out loud because the rolling stones are so american, but not american. like, the epitome of everything all american! like everything sheetz.
the plastic gear you can buy to travel safely and environmentally friendly that is constructed from toxic plastics made in china. the packaged food that has weekly recommended caloric and fat intake marketed as a "snack." the gorgeous beer walk-in with sponsored ads to be safe while driving strategically placed next to a beer pong kit. the whole scene was so perfectly ironic and comforting. usa! usa! usa!
i leave sheetz just in time...the song is ending, my giant coffee is ready and i am started to get irritated by all the mf people that are there sniffling and sneezing. but man that was a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment