Friday, November 27, 2009

daddy's girl, part 4.

(for previous entries to this series, please refer to daddy's girl, parts 1-3)

4. insurance truths

i caught my father paying the balance for a surgery i had many years ago. at the time, i was told it would all be covered by my insurance and i stupidly believed him. it was after surgery for my heart that was kind pertinent to my future health and well being. but OMG i just about flipped my lid when i saw the balance. the bill was forwarded well after he had paid for most of it as i had been in a temporary apartment and didn't forward my mail from his house until i moved more permanently. as much as i appreciate my dad's help on this...HOLY CRAP!!! do they screw you when you are sick...or trying not to be sick. or aren't really sick at all but have for instance a birth defect or abnormality that can be easily remedied because you know and love your body and seek assistance when something does not feel right...arghh!

so, yeah. dad neglected to inform me that insurance (although absolutely necessary) is STILL freaking expensive. even when you are an able bodied, responsible adult. co-pays are just a mean trick to make you think that is all that you owe for this friendly office visit. i mean honestly, i avoid going to the doctor at all costs because i am terrified they will slap a "pre-existing condition" on my pulled muscle or funny feeling limb. cause they have tried to do this already. when i tried to fight it, i lost. why? because my dad was at the same doctors office and they mentioned an old balance that was rejected by my insurance. and he paid it. three years later.

now. if it was such an important fee and concern wouldn't this bill have gone to collections? haha! yes! but it did NOT because i honestly feel i would have been able to bitch my way out of that rejected coverage. and the office knew it. but they bypassed me and hit up my dad. grrr.


i was soooo unbelievably pissed when i found out about this incident in mention. not only did the receptionist COMPLETELY violate hippa but WTF? if there is NO documented diagnosis of a pre-existing condition i ain't paying for it jerks!!! and my dear, sweet father in his attempts to shelter my poor check book from unexpected costs, paid the damn thing and deprived me of yet another BATTLE WITH THE MAN. grumble.

was his heart in the right place? sure. but this CANNOT go on any longer. this is triangulation in its most wicked form and i will NOT stand for it.

winner: daughter. use this time to become a healthier, more aware individual, ladies. pay attention to WHO and WHAT you are paying and fight like hell when you feel screwed. health care reform NOW!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment