Friday, November 20, 2009

daddy's girl, part 3.

(to see previous entries of this series, please refer to daddy's girl, parts 1-2)

3. taxes
holeee gawddd! i am forced to tears -pretty much every year-by my taxes. and this is in the digital, online-form age where they basically do everything for you, you just need to put the numbers in where they say so...but then i started owing stuff. and working grown up jobs. hrumppf.

once i tried to ask my dad for help and he actually held his arm around the page and wasn't allowing me to see what he was writing. he said it was because he is left handed but then i got it: financial independence (for his household members) is something he cannot handle. this is why he will not explain.

i do not think he has a masochistic desire to see me cry and stress over my paperwork (which is why i do it alone. very, very alone. i am scary person when dealing with confusing paperwork. even the dogs hide)...but i do think it is difficult for my father to accept that i need to know how to do these things...in the event of _____. i find this odd as my father had to take on many primary caregiver (including financial) responsibilities at a very young age. you would think he would want me to be tax payer savvy, no? NO. i even had to pay back taxes from many, many years ago this past year that i did not file. i did not file because at the time my father told me (and i QUOTE) "you did not make enough for it to matter and you lived out of the state for most of the year, anyway." WRONG. i had to pay that measly $125 with interest. boo.

winner: daughter. ladies this is something you MUST know how to handle yourself! (and they let you print out directions that are about 15 pages long so you can blot your tears with the excess pages.)

No comments:

Post a Comment