Friday, November 13, 2009

daddy's girl, part 2.

(to see the previous entry of this series, please refer to daddy's girl, part 1.)


2. broken stuff

again, always seeking my fathers assistance when i broke stuff as a child was easy: "please put barbie's head back on that my sister ripped off" "please reattach this sparkly pink basket to my bike that was ejected from the handle bars when i ate in on the big hill three streets over" "please pay for the car i just wrecked into the other one on the way to school" ...you get the point.


as an adult these things are becoming more complicated...toilets and various plumping equipment, kitchen stuff, closet racks with too many clothes on them...i have learned these are all things i am more than capable of attending to myself as an adult.


i am pretty much the most impatient person EVER so asking for my father's assistance means i would have to wait for him to find time to assist me (which i totally do NOT get, because the man is retired..come on, it is like he could be MY personal maintenance man, right?!) and i have come to realize that my father, god bless him, is not skilled in all things maintenance related. in fact, joint "fixing broken stuff" projects have turned sour as of late and created some pretty heated arguments mostly centering around the fact he has engineer logic (or none at all) and poor communication skills. and i am a wretched brat.

i believe my father did not tell me i could do these things myself because then the whole "rescue me" thing would be exposed. and i realized all of my closet racks and shelves were on a slant when he was finished with them.

winner: daughter. don't tell him it's broke, fix it yourself. (or only ask him to fix stuff you don't really care about or use often)

No comments:

Post a Comment