Tuesday, April 13, 2010

just not made for me.

so i am totally obsessed with american apparel. i like their usa based digs and approach to fairness and equality (maybe at least initially) in the fashion industry. but here's the deal: there is nothing at aa that 1. ever fits, 2. is generally practically for everyday living and 3. that isn't displayed by a 90 lb model that is double jointed in places i did not know had joints and they make this shit look amazing...
now. where exactly should i wear my see through lace dress in smalltown, virginia? what does one wear a see through lace dress for? which type of party is appropriate? is this elegant causal? there is lace...i am at a loss for good answers.
oh, le sac. when this dress came out i squealed and bought mine immediately. i was so excited...look at all of the ways to wear!!! i even got the smallest size figuring it would be baggy...the dress arrives, it is summer in virginia and i spend the next two hours attempting to le sac myself. miserable fail. i am lucky i could still return the dress i was so sweaty once i finished. i took straps out and pulled them in interesting ways but the dress looked like le shit on me. there is NO WAY that girl is wearing a normal size. i ordered a small and it was a le trash bag (the lawn and leaf kind) on me and i am a whale compared to her...

i fall victim to the website again this year...look at this dress!!! it is adorable! i need one! but finally, after years of compulsively buying aa t shirts and long sleeved beauties at my fav little shop in a-vegas (only to find them creep up to barely reach my midriff after a few washes)...i have now squelched my desire for aa. i am no longer in denial. there is no way on gods green earth that my chestal region will fit into that little six inch terry cloth color block. i. have. given. up.

so, thanks for nothing american apparel. your models deceive and intrigue and take me to a land where i believe my body has no curves or rolls or need for fabrics that are thicker than a kleenex. for the tiny ladies out there: good for you. enjoy all that aa has to offer for me.
whenever i feel a little sad or pine for something spandex or unisex or hipsterish, i'll recall this metallic bodysuit and remember that i do not live in a big city world of anything goes.
and this is just fine with me.

1 comment:

  1. that lace dress would definitely be the female version of assless chaps on the avenue.

    can you imagine walking your dogs down rivermont in the middle of the afternoon? people would go nuts.

    ReplyDelete